Monday, February 11, 2008

Interlocking Pieces - Molly Gloss



I enjoyed this story alot. Interesting topic - a cerebellum transplant. I also found it interesting that Teo found Dhavir doing a puzzle, such an intricate task and something that she could no longer do with her limited motor capabilities. Maybe this was used to bring forth the idea that pieces by themselves are not very useful, but when put together they form the full picture. Sort of how Dhavir's cerebellum will complete Teo as a human being ...

Im not sure that I see how this fits into the category of Science Fiction though. There didn't seem to be anything sci-fi ish about it to me unless I missed something !

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Holly I think we have the same ideas about most of the stories - our blog posts are almost identical!

Anonymous said...

I think the only reason that this story is labelled sci-fi is because of the cerebellum transplant - it's not really possible (yet!). But I agree with you, Holly, this didn't really feel like a sci-fi story at all. They could have just changed the words "cerebellum transplant" to "kidney transplant" and it'd pretty much be just another episode of House or ER...

Anonymous said...

Yes, Luke, you're right, except for the possibility of having someone else's thoughts in ones mind. Sharing beyond the usual transplant.

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks like I had similar ideas to people on this one.

I agree with you that it didn't seem to fit into the science fiction genre.