Monday, February 18, 2008

Good News From The Vatican - Robert Silverberg

I enjoyed this story alot. I took it to be an extreme indication of what could become of us if we continue to have such a reliance on computers and other types of machinery. It made me think of all the things that we, as humans, used to do manually and now have done for us by machines. We have machines to cook our food, machines to transport us around the world and machines that clean our clothes. And that, obviously, is just to name a few. Although the idea of a robotic pope is a little far fetched, who knows what technological advances will cook up next ..

I found it interesting that half of the characters were against the idea of having a robotic pope while the other half were all for it. It seems to be symbolic of the hesitation of some people, even today, to rely on technology to help complete their everyday tasks. Some people worry that we are losing touch with what it is to be human and are moving into a world goverend by computers and machinery.

Plus, the idea of a pope that will never die doesn't sound all that great to me. I mean not that you would want him to die anytime soon, but it's nice to change things up every once in awhile ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is a real "what if" sort of story: what if current trends continue.

Puts a whole new light on Papal infallibility, doesn't it?

Unknown said...

Never in my life did I think I'd be discussing Papal infallibility, inside or outside University. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

haha "it's nice to changs things up". your funny holly.