Thursday, February 7, 2008

And The Angels Sing - Kate Wilhelm



I think this week's reading list has been the most enjoyable yet. For me anyway. There has only been one story that I haven't loved (Kyrie) but all of the others have really grabbed my attention. I thought that this one was great as well. I like that something alien happens in the life of a human-being. Instead of being sci-fi like from the very beginning, this one starts off as any other story may.

I found it funny that Eddie was so inclined to refer to this genderless alien as a "she". It is explained that it is definitely not female, as it had nothing in the way of genitalia. It made me think that Eddie was desperate for this alien to be a girl. He doesn't seem to be well liked, mainly on account of his weak character. People don't know how to take a man who does them so many favors but will not allow for any sort of repayment. It is implied that his wife left him and he moved to the middle of nowhere to get away from the busy New York life. Because he is without a lover and without any close companions, the idea of this alien being a "she" would have been very inviting for a man like Eddie.

This is definitely an interesting take on women as aliens. For what seems like the first time, women are not being portrayed at all in a negative view. If anything, Eddie - the male, is the weak character throughout the story. Because Eddie refers to the alien as being a "she", I came to think of her as being female as well. Therefore it seems to me that women aliens in this story are being represented in a postive, take-charge light.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you may like this week's even better. Not a lot of desperate women, they have a lot more power this week - yahoo!