Monday, February 18, 2008

Alpha Ralpha Boulevard - Cordwainer Smith

This story grabbed my attention from the very beginning. I would like to meet the Instrumentality to see why they chose to do certain things, such as have Paul and Virginia come out French following the Rediscovery of Man. I think there was more to it, since Smith put such an emphasis on the language and the fact that they were indeed French. Im not sure though if it was meant to be a negative or a positive spin ...

I think the story functions on two levels. It seems to point out the pros and the cons of both living in a world where real danger exists and in a world where there is no fear and everything is pre-determined. It put an interesting spin on things and strangley enough, despite the bad things that happens at the Alpha-Dingo, made me appreciate that I live in a free world that has not already decided my fate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He wrote quite a number of stories in the same universe, if you want to follow up.

Anonymous said...

interesting thought on the message about fate. I thought about that while reading it but it never stuck out enough for me to blog out.