Thursday, February 28, 2008

2064, Or Thereabouts - David R. Bunch



This story is about a cyber person who is searching for the meaning of life. It's strange that such an un-human creature is having such human-like thought processes. The cyber person is searching for the true meaning of life but seems unable to come up with any answers. Everybody wonders this at some point, so perhaps the author is making the point that there is not necessarily an answer to this difficult question. Your life is what you make of it, and no matter who you are or "what you're made of" you may never stumble upon the answer. It was a sad story for me. It reminded me that I personally don't know the meaning of life and made me wonder if anyone really does. Good story, but it certainly wasn't uplifting ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is sad. What do you make of the clown images at the end? (They are not robots, btw, but cyborgs: part human, part machine).

Anonymous said...

Personally, I almost felt as though the clown balloons were laughing at the poor cyborg, probably because he was an ideal dreamer - and his dreams got him nowhere..

(my father = clown balloon)

俞淞瀚 said...

I agree with you. Who am I? Why I come to this world? Is it necessary to answer this questions?
I am a boy from China, one of our homework this term is to read"2064,or thereabouts".
When I search some informations about it I enter your Blog...

Anonymous said...

David Bunch's writings are a lot darker than you seem to sense. Perhaps you're very young. But his whole "Moderan" cycle, from 1957 to
the end of the 90's, explored the utter nadir of the darkest parts of the most technologically perverted and denatured human souls. Bunch writes from the other side of a civilization's suicide. There is no
"bright side" of him: at best, he is a warning, at worst, a grave tender for a species. Unless you are conversant with the times, it's unlikely you'll grasp him. In addition to all the Moderan stories, try "Level 7" by Mordecai
Roshwald, "Fail Safe", "On the Beach" and a good history of the
early Cold War, and you'll have a shot at understanding him...but only if you have truly undergone
some real misery, existential nausea, despair, depression, and
truly cheap hootch.