Monday, February 11, 2008

A Few Things I Know About Whileaway - Joanna Russ

Hm .. a plague that wiped out all men. Banning words such as "he". Women that cut their hair with clamshells. Children that are created from two ovum. (One body mother & one other mother). Interesting.

These children of Whileaway obliterate their instructors with bombs?! Sheesh .. they must have some pretty bad instructors on that planet. And this country, of total female inhabitance, does not practice monogamy at all. Again, interesting.

Well this story was very different. Im not sure that I really enjoyed it, but it had some interesting concepts. Genetic surgeons, for example. The idea of middle-dignity, three quarters dignity and full dignity was a different take on the journey from childhood to adulthood.

I particularly liked the beginning of the last paragraph: "I am a liar. I have never been to Whileaway." It made me think "Well then why did you go to the trouble of making all of this nonsense up?!" I'm also wondering what kind of influence the author was under while writing the story ... it's definitely original!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In answer to your end note saying " i wonder what influence the author was under when she wrote this"
I reply:
I think the author was under the influence of being a lesbian at a time when it was extremely dangerous to one's self-image.