Thursday, March 20, 2008

For The Sake of Grace - Suzette Haden Elgin


Well I have to say that this story is definitely soft sci-fi. Although it did have sc-fi elements, it had a very earthly feel to it. These creatures were easy to relate to humanity and I was able to very easily visualize the setting. Elements of sci fi that stuck out to me: The com-systems, the fact that it took the father ten months to travel through space to reach home, and the sort of work that he does on another planet.) However, these do not seem to be the focal points in the story. It is more about familial relations and a woman's place in the world. The ideas and ways of thinking portrayed in the story remind me of something that would have been written 50 or 100 years ago. The belief that a woman's place is in the home and that she could not possibly succeed at something such as a poetry competition at age 12 when "even I didn't succeed at age 16" (The Khadilha) is very prominent throughout the tale. I liked the ending because it brought forth the truth that males or females are equal beings. It makes males, the Khadilha in this case, look foolish for assuming their superiority especially in matters of intelligance. Jacinth wins and makes sure that this is known by exerting a sort of powerfulness in her words. I liked this story alot!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked this story too - I was rooting for Jacinth by the end. I think she surprised everyone..

Stephen said...

Thank you for the review.

She has another story in that setting at her livejournal, btw.

Russell Catlin said...

It IS a great story!

There are interesting comparisons that can be made with the novel Dune. In Dune, it is a male who faces a test, given by women in power (the Bene Gesserit), and the consequences if he fails are likewise dire.

In that novel too, there are themes that are heirs to what we know of the history of the Middle East.

Anonymous said...

good review!