Thursday, April 3, 2008

We See Things Differently - Bruce Sterling



This is a story written from the perspective of an Arab visitor to a future run-down America. Sayyid comes to America to report on what's going on and presents a pretty bleak looking story.

While this is not a pick me up kind of story, it does represent today's reality. We really do send reporters around the world to sites of misfortune so that we can have the juicy details reported back to us. The second that there is word of a murder, a horrible accident, war or any other sort of catastrophe - we have someone on the scene. Then, we all run to our televisions and eat dinner while listening to someone's horror story. I guess I'm a little off topic now, but it's something I've always thought about. Yes it's important to keep up on world issues, but is it important to know the details of the murder of a 5 year old girl in Florida? Is it necessary to see live video streams of war zones? I don't think it is .. and I think we are all a little bit too caught up in everyone else's business.

But that's just me!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, the news will sensationalize anything that'll turn heads. At least it's not as bad here as it is in the U.S. (yet)