Sunday, January 13, 2008

Speculative Fiction - My Latest Adventure!


As I said on Thursday, speculative fiction is a genre that I have left unexplored until now. For whatever reason, I have always purposely strayed away from anything sci-fi. Í've always assumed that I wouldn't enjoy the genre and have therefore stuck with real-life stories involving perfectly plausible scenarios.
Although I have not yet finished, I am about halfway through The Chrysalids and I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's a miracle! On Thursday evening I decided that I would start the book. Due to my apprehension about the nature of the story, I found myself reading a page or two and then tuning into "Gossip Girl" or picking up Lullabies for Little Criminals instead (also very awesome!). However, this did not last much past the second chapter of John Wyndham's novel. I'm a bit ashamed to say that I feel as if I have been prejudiced towards speculative fiction. I'm enjoying The Chrysalids just as much as I would enjoy any other book. If the rest of the genre is anything like this, I am afraid that I've been missing out! My brother, the sci-fi guru, is thrilled. I'm thrilled too. Not only did I discover a new realm of literature, but I think I will be able to survive this course!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed reading this book and that you decided to stay in the class!

Unknown said...

Yay! Glad you enjoyed the book. Brown Girl In the Ring will blow your mind, too. (at least it did mine - really weird but cool)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Its Amanda Henry.
My email is ama.henry@gmail.com
:) :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Holly Mott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.